Quantcast
Irwin Family Genealogy: Great-Great Grandfather Wm James George's Home - 1907

Monday, February 4, 2013

Great-Great Grandfather Wm James George's Home - 1907


To my surprise, I found this picture of the William James George family home in a closet I was cleaning out and thought you would like to see it. It was from Portia's cousins, Edith and Pauline Hitz. This is where our family lived from around 1850 to 1907 or 1908, after William's wife, Edith, died.  William George was Portia and Mabel's grandfather and Samantha's father.



I then went back to Portia's photo album from 1908 and found this unlabeled picture that I had previously been unable to identify. It appears to have been taken from the same negative but was cropped differently.



I wrote to our second cousin once removed, Ralph George in Memphis, to ask if this is the same picture that he has of the house. He looked through his old family pictures and found that he has a copy of the same picture.

Ralph George descended from William James George's 5th child.   Edith and Pauline descended from the 10 child.  We descended from Samantha, the 1st child.

This looks like a very nice two story brick home, but I imagine it was pretty crowded with 10 children.  I can see why Portia and Samantha always stayed at Humphrey's mother's house when they went to Indiana each summer to avoid the "fever season" in Memphis during the 1880's.  Humphrey's brothers and sisters were already out of the house, and there was a lot more room.

No comments:

Post a Comment